Missing teeth can lead to serious complications later down the road, such as a misaligned bite, crooked teeth, and bone deterioration. Luckily, patients have more tooth replacement options than ever before. At Hanfu Lee, DDS we specialize in several full-tooth restorations, including dental implants. Dental implants have revolutionized the way we treat tooth loss. Thanks to their many benefits, it's no wonder that implants have become the industry standard for tooth replacement. An implant-supported restoration is the next best thing to your natural teeth!
What Is A Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a small titanium post that we surgically embed below the gum tissue and into the jawbone. The implant post serves as the root component of a prosthesis. After a brief healing period the post is attached to an abutment, or support structure, that links the implant to the restoration. Thanks to technological advancements implants can be used to support a single crown, a fixed bridge, or even a full-arch restoration!
The Dental Implant Process
The dental implant process begins with a consultation appointment. During your consultation, Hanfu Lee, DDS will perform a series of diagnostic tests to ensure you are a suitable candidate for implant treatment. Most patients healthy enough to undergo minor surgery will qualify. Implants do require a significant amount of bone in the jaw. If your bone is too soft or too thin, we may recommend a bone graft.
Once we determine you are a suitable candidate for dental implants, we will develop an appropriate treatment plan. Most implant procedures are broken up into two surgeries. During the first surgery, we will make a minor incision in the gum tissue to expose the underlying bone. Next, we will place the implant deep within the jawbone.
Over the next several months, the implant and your jawbone will fuse through the process of osseointegration. Osseointegration is largely responsible for the many benefits of dental implants, mimicking the natural relationship between tooth root and socket.
Once osseointegration is complete, we will schedule the second surgery to place the abutment. After the abutment is in place, we take an impression of the area. The impression will be used by our laboratory technicians to fabricate your final restoration. Once your restoration is ready, we will permanently attach it to the implant post.
Benefits Of Dental Implants
• Unmatched aesthetics. Our restorations are made from aesthetically-pleasing materials, such as porcelain or zirconia. These materials mimic the appearance of natural enamel.
• Unmatched comfort. Because your implant becomes a part of you, you will not experience any of the discomforts typically associated with removable restorations.
• Unmatched convenience. Implants are permanently fixed to the jawbone and do not require any special attention. Your restoration will look, feel, and function just like your natural teeth. You may even forget you have a restoration.
• Unmatched durability. Under the proper care and maintenance, a dental implant will last for many decades. In some cases, it may even last a lifetime! You will be able to eat your favorite foods with confidence and comfort!
• Better oral health. The implant post provides physical stimulation to the jawbone, preventing future deterioration. Your restoration will also leave your remaining teeth unaffected.
Other restorations can put healthy teeth at a greater risk for damage or decay.
Schedule A Consultation Appointment Today!
You, too, could experience the wonderful benefits of dental implants! Call 626-447-0888 to schedule your consultation appointment today!